Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ordinary Things

I am working on another cyborg post but have too many ideas. Must. Boil. It. Down.

Yesterday was a day of ordinary things although some ordinary things have aspects of the extraordinary. I took Harley to the dog groomer & noticed they have the most amazing pictures on the wall of competitions they've won with dyed-blue poodles dressed as the snow queen & other kinds of doggie awesomeness & this makes me happy & I can't quite explain why except it's an unusual art form & I appreciate that. Harley just had an ordinary bath & haircut. I don't think he'd make a very good snow queen, although he'd be an adorable elf.



I made mostaccioli & homemade garlic bread & a big green salad with radishes & spring onions & a garlicky-mustardy vinaigrette that was so good I want to make it again today. The day before I was quite tired & nobody was particularly hungry so we had a big bowl of popcorn & called it a day. I had the most ordinary dream: one of those recurring ones where the house is full of fading Christmas trees & it's clearly springtime & I feel disgusted with myself, with my own slovenliness.

Reading:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Bobcat Country by Brandi Homan

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach


Watching:

Angel, Season 1

Transamerica

Battlestar Galactica, Season 4.0

Z is leaving tomorrow for his first overnight trip (sans parents) ever & I am very very anxious, but also excited for him. He's competing in a conference for Future Business Leaders of America. I am cleaning the house like mad because external order helps calm my inner chaos.

Z asked me this morning if we were having a party while he was gone which makes me think I must be kind of lousy at keeping house if he thinks it's a special occasion.

I have a doctor's appointment in two weeks & I wonder if I should mention my anxiety but it makes me feel ridiculous & unsophisticated so instead I just put up with the panic attacks & the creeping sense of impending doom & hope nobody notices but then I tell everybody about it on my blog anyway. Hah.

1 comment:

Coffee Lovin' Mom said...

Funny, my kids think someone is coming over whenever I clean the house too..