Thursday, August 23, 2007

thunder in the vicinity

I love the way weather.com sometimes describes a storm as "thunder in the vicinity." It sounds like the title for a poem.

It's been a weird week. I am strangely fixated on the weather.

The tornado sirens went off twice today. The first time it creeped me out and I sat huddled in the basement waiting for the roof to blow off. The second time, I just sat on the couch and watched a rerun of CSI. How quickly one gets jaded by a false alarm!

I've also been looking for GRE Test prep materials on Amazon.com. The thought of studying for this exam gets less and less appealing every time I try to get started. The books are costly too, because there's one for math, and another one for verbal...and I don't even want to contemplate the subject test for literature. No doubt I should have a reading list compiled that would probably take me a year to finish...Ack. My brain hurts.

I did find this suggestion for which books are most helpful...but I'd hate to have to buy four books!

***

Thunder remains in the vicinity, making it hard to sleep. I'm reading The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, hoping it will make me drowsy...Every now and then, I stop and scribble cool words in my journal, which I might use for something later on.

This is not making me sleepy.

No comments: