Friday, January 15, 2010

Oh, Poetry.

Lately, it's been this thing that I just can't get to so often.

Last night I had a dream that I showed up late for a reading and forgot to bring any poems. I tried to write down what I remembered of the pieces I intended to read, but they were all screwy and I was quite terrible. I recall beginning one poem with "It is said I am the husks of rabbits," which seems rather grotesque to me upon waking. Mike has suggested I type a few favorite pieces into my phone so I will never find myself in this situation, which I find funny. Reading poems from my phone would make me feel like a total d-bag.

I think I need to take a bit of a web hiatus, as I believe such things as Facebook are hurting my productivity. Really. It's so easy to get sucked in to just browsing around, and the next thing you know, an hour's gone by and you've accomplished absolutely nothing.

Also, I just can't get into Twitter. This is probably for the best. I tweet about once a month. I know that's pretty lame. I should probably delete my account, but I keep thinking I'll use it more at some later date. I probably won't.

Anyway, I have decided it's time to order some books & chapbooks I've had my eye on... I'm hoping it will inspire me to write, but at the very least, I know I will be delighted just to read something beautiful. I have a bit of poetry $ set aside, so maybe I'll buy some goodies today. I suspect it will lift my spirits. Of course, I want more books than I can afford, but who doesn't?

***

Poetry aside, I've been very pleased with how much better I feel by avoiding processed foods and cutting back on meat consumption. My energy levels are much improved, and my other (numerous) health issues much less troublesome. It is somewhat time consuming and requires quite a bit of planning, but it's very, very worth it. I'm also a size smaller, which is a nice bonus. I will probably never be particularly petite, but I don't mind. It's nice not to wake up feeling like I've been hit by a truck. I'll settle for that, really.

It's funny, but for the longest time, I would try to lose weight by eating frozen "diet" meals and drinking diet soda. I thought I was being virtuous, but I felt like total crap. I'm not sure why it took me so long to figure out how bad this stuff was for my body. I think we're conditioned to view anything labeled "diet" as "healthful." It's good to stop and question your assumptions once in a while, eh?

***

Okay, so I am officially declaring myself on Interweb Hiatus for one week. (Yes, I'm still going to check my email.) It will be interesting to see what I might accomplish...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I just saw a guy read lyrics from his phone at an open mic on Tuesday night! Also a woman read poems from her laptop.

Best wishes on your little break and on the healthy eating. I'm eating healthy, too!