Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Grand TO DO (List)


This time of year, I find that I need a mantra. Something along the lines of

It's all going to get done
and all manner of things shall be well

or something of that ilk.

Every day I make a list, yet I never finish it. But, I do make progress.

The holiday stuff seems to have taken over, while I'm still trying to fit in the never-ending job search, transition planning for Z., editorial projects, writing projects, and (of course) making-people-happy projects. I'm also looking for opportunities to do some volunteer work. I'm hoping to shift my focus away from all this personal stuff. It seems like it might be a good antidote for my long-standing malaise. Also, I'm beginning to suspect that I need to work on being a better human being, in general. I get lost in a life that is--at times--a bit too introverted.

I need to revamp the way in which I approach my days. A schedule, perhaps? I'm thinking of making a weekly spreadsheet to organize my tasks and projects, with adequate (ha!) time allotted for all my highest priorities. As I approach something resembling middle age (no? too young, you say? bless your heart.) I find there is less internal RAM to keep track of all the minutia. Is it just me?

Everyone else on the planet seems so enviably efficient. I should like to know their secrets. I suspect it's just spreadsheets. Spreadsheets are the answer to everything.

On the upside, I did get the tree up in a reasonably timely fashion. I have to admit, for all my crabbing and x-mas angst, it does look rather grand.

No comments: