Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why poetry? (& etc.)

After all, it doesn't pay the bills, right?

There's something very satisfying about art for the sake of art, rather than $$$. I know, I know--we'd all like to be able to make a living doing what we love, but that's not always possible. There's something comforting about the fact that the impulse to create still matters, regardless of whether it results in some kind of tangible "benefit." It reminds us that we're still human. I could say more, but Amy King says it better. (Scroll down to the post for September 17, titled "Poetry is to Money as Ice Cream is to Mud.") Good stuff. Don't forget to check out the fairly extensive list of small press publishers with open reading periods, if you so happen to be shopping around a poetry manuscript...

I have no idea why I can't post directly to the essay, rather than the blog at large. I must be loopy this morning.

***

Speaking of loopy, I think I wasted an entire hour on Facebook this morning. How did that happen?

***

In other news: BITCH reached their fundraising goals, and they're still alive and kicking. This makes me happy.

Other happy bits:

-Recent acceptances from Eclectica and Goblin Fruit.

-I made the most kickass mashed potatoes with roasted garlic yesterday. Ever cook something you liked so much you're still thinking about it the next day?

-Also: I have decided that applesauce counts as a vegetable. Why not?

-October is looking busy, but in a good way :)

-I am still reading submissions for the blossombones fall special feature, and I'll be damned if I can even find a "bad" sub in the bunch. It's exciting to see so much terrific stuff...although it makes the editing process a challenge!

No comments: