Friday, June 11, 2010

On being human, reading books, and shameless self-promotion

Every now and then, something will grab my attention and I awake from the stupor of dailiness. Yesterday I stopped in the middle of the road to let a family of geese cross. There were two big ones and four grayish-brown, fuzzy baby geese. I love the way they cross in a straight line, with the little ones walking between the big ones. It reminds me of people. It is so easy, in the midst of going to work and paying bills and folding laundry and taking care of everybody to forget to be awake. I am guilty of this. I am happy when I see the unexpected. Yesterday was one of those A+ days where I felt wholly alive. It was balmy and beautiful and there were families of geese. I bought gifts for a few lovely people, who are getting married or expecting a baby. I had a strawberry-mango smoothie. I found some nice organic veggies which I plan to cook this weekend. I'm thinking about roasted cauliflower and brushetta with sauteed peppers and basil and fresh mozzerella. I want to make foccacia with pesto and carmelized onions and crispy red potatoes. I hope this happens.

I picked up a few books for myself and this lifted my spirits. In general, I am not one of those people who love shopping. I don't care much about clothes and I hate shopping malls. I notice that cars full of elderly women with bouffant hairdos pay no attention to pedestrians but I forgive them and mind where I cross. I am not as cute as a baby goose. Someday, if I am lucky, I will be a woman of a certain age and I might dye my hair blue and extend my cupid's bow with bright red lipstick and wear a plastic hair kerchief and take tiny samples of grape jelly and coffee creamer home from Greek restaurants. I'm looking forward to this.

***

Currently Reading:

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Loose Woman by Sandra Cisneros

***

There is something about opening a book that makes me feel like myself again. I plan to read both The Sparrow and Children of God by Mary Doria Russell, some Ursula K. LeGuin, lots and lots of contemporary poetry, other stuff. Artifice is blogging about summer reading and Kathleen is blogging about books, too. I hope you are reading something this summer. And next fall, winter and spring as well.

***

And Now, For Some Shameless Self-Promotion:


My contributor copy of Mythic Delirium #22 arrived yesterday! It's gorgeous. You should check it out.

Also! CYBORGIA is now available direct from Mayapple Press. It's official. W00t!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

The Sparrow is fabulous. Cyborgia awaits me! Congrats on your poems and seeing geese and smoothies, a wonderful day!